Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Car Stereo – not standard anymore

Due to theft, my car has been without a stereo for 11 of the last 15 months.

I’m in the car a lot – I commute 50 miles a day, my parents live about an hour away, and the University of Georgia plays its home games in Athens.

I’ve spent over 10,000 miles in silence.

For less than $100, I could get a new cd player. And it isn’t that I don’t have the money. I’ve had bar tabs, single bets in Vegas and gas station stops that have cost more.

I’ve genuinely asked my friends to trade cars with me for the week dozens of times.

I’ve avoided driving on countless encounters with girls I’m interested in. When this isn’t an option, my go-to joke is delivered without thought, “I had the cd player removed so we would be able to have uninterrupted conversation.”

I leave a little bit of shattered glass in the back seat so the break-ins seem fresh.

My brown 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix, which is certainly flashy, has been assaulted on three separate occasions.

3 a.m. July 12th, 2007 – Lenny’s Corndog-O-rama
The perpetrator broke my rear passenger vent window with a rock. The best deal I could find to replace the window was $850, instead I bought a used door for $275. Add $100 for a new paint job, and I was pleased with my $475 savings. (They were unable to match the eight years of fading on the paint job, resulting dual colored paint job.)

12:30 a.m. November 8th, 2007 – Midtown Atlanta
This was the best break-in I’ve ever experienced. In the midst of a busy parking lot, the intruder entered without any significant damage and kindly removed my cd player.

9:30 p.m. March 15th, 2008 – Screvin Drive
The rear passenger window once again fell victim to a nearby rock. I’ve realized, when it’s not raining, this is a great window to lose. I choose not to replace it for about four months, enjoying the thoughtless thermostat and white noise that the missing window provided. Eventually I found a replacement window in a junkyard.

I used to tell myself, and others, that the quiet gave me time to think. This is a lie – I miss Atlanta sports coverage, useless morning talk shows and the latest in pop music.

No comments: