Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How quickly we (do and don’t) forget

A friend and coworker, who I talked to daily about work and non-work things for over a year, left on Monday.
I’ve already forgotten what it is like when he was here.

The memory isn’t repressed … if I want to think about his oft-creaking chair or relentlessly vibrating cell phone, my brain retrieves it in nanoseconds. Still, unless I’m given a reason, he no longer exists.

And this is sad. He was one of a handful of people that I truly trusted at work.

At the same time, an unanswered phone call that I made Monday evening, to a person I barely know, has dominated my thoughts.

We don’t have control over where our mind wonders, or in my case, where it stalls. The true beauty of human nature is rooted somewhere in this concept – the idea that the same brain that is constantly nagging you to do basic tasks like take out the trash, can just as easily nag you into something beyond yourself.

4 comments:

Arthur E. Noll said...

i can ride my bike with no handlebars

Corey J. said...

I think your forgetting how it feels to work with that guy is more a comment on the nature of workplace relationships . . .

Carl said...

Could be. We saw each other outside of work a couple times, but I agree with what you're saying.

Reneé de la Curée said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.